A Not So Successful Surgery

Filled under: , , ,

So, who all are familiar with the kind of smell that belongs to the hospitals? Pretty much everyone i guess. We have all been to those dreary halls where, upon entering you start wondering what the doctor's verdict is going to be. we all have our hospital stories; the time when somebody got sick, when someone we know got a baby, when someone we loved passed away, when we ourselves have been through difficult times regarding health. These stories are usually painful to go through again, times you don't want to remember, but if you actually go through them now, some of them could sound pretty funny if you go through the details, and maybe you could learn so much more than what was previously obvious. So, here's a story that might fall into that category. Mind you, its very true and personally experienced.

As I walked into the pristine white halls, I was quite excited about the surgery coming up. You might call me crazy, and I might as well be, but I always wanted to what it felt like to go to sleep and wake up to find a change in yourself. Honestly, not the greatest experience of my life, but we'll get there in time.

I was prepped up for surgery. It wasn’t a major surgery, I had some sinus issues and as the doctor had explained to me before, all I needed was to get some excess flesh and bone removed from my nose and all would be well and good. The causes for the surgery were the major headaches caused by the sinus problem. I was given a very airy gown that left me feeling a little uncomfortable. Donning it on, I lay on the bed prepared for me. My vitals, blood pressure and all were checked and I was ready for surgery.
As I was wheeled into the operation theatre, I remember trying to take it all in before they put me to sleep. I had always wanted to know what went on behind these doors, all the drama and the clich├ęs along with those numerous stories. Pretty soon I was told to start counting backwards and before I knew it, I was asleep.
The effects of the anesthesia started to wear off and I clearly remember feeling that something wasn’t quite right. I didn’t have control over any inch of my body and I was thrashing around on my bed like I was on an electric shock. I remember the nurses and assistants holding me so they could inject me with some medicine and as my body relaxed I slipped back into unconsciousness. This, ladies and gentlemen, was a seizure. Now I might not have done justice in explaining it, but watching your own body thrash around like a fish out of water and having absolutely no control over it is one of the most helpless and painful experiences one can think of.
Next, I woke up to the voice of my father and his lips against my forehead. Before I could talk back to him, my father being one of those who can’t witness a recovery from any surgery, left the room and sent my mother in to wake me up and listen to what I have to say.
The next few hours were a drift between sleep and wakefulness. The bandages on my nose were changed regularly by the attending staff. I was given a few things to eat and all was fine until we all noticed how the bandages just kept getting soaked in blood a little quicker than the one before. The blood flow accelerated to a point where a three inches thick bandage would soak up blood completely in seconds.
Naturally, the red bandages, my continuously yellowing face and me brimming close to the state of unconsciousness worried my parents and after several discussions with the attendants, the doctor was called. Apparently, according to the doctor, me losing buckets of blood was no big deal, ’Happens all the time!’ he says. And from the look my father gives him it becomes obvious that nobody cares if it happens all the time, it just HAS to stop. So the doctor inserted a peck in my nose. A detailed explanation of what a peck exactly is. It is a long strip of thin but really hard and strong bandage like thing. Which, when inserted into the nose, goes straight up to your brow bone and feels like its in contact with your brain.
This painfully cruel procedure was followed by a short period of blood staunching. My parents calmed down a little and I noticed my vision going muddy. i dragged my hand to my bedside stand and tried to clean my eye with a tissue. Watching me move, my mother turned around to face me. The doctor had already left by this time since he was, ‘Oh! So busy, doing his rounds!’ That was when I saw my mother look at me and lose all color; she was driven straight into her panic mode. So guess what made her go all crazy? I was bleeding out of my eye.
Suddenly I had the entire ward’s attention. The doctor was called again and before I could utter a single syllable to my mother and try to calm her down by telling her that I was fine, (I don’t really know if I was.) I was propped up in a wheel chair and wheeled back into the operation theatre. I have to say, it wasn’t so exciting going there the second time in a day.
I remember feeling mildly irritated when they kept wiping my face with a bloody cloth. Now I realize it might’ve been my vision that was bloody. Anyway, I was put to sleep the second time in a day and again, I woke up with a seizure.
After that I was shifted in a private room where the nurse pulled up regularly for checkups. I gradually improved in terms of blood flow. The following day the doctor came in to see how I was doing. At least that’s what I thought until he told me he was there to remove the two pecks he had inserted in my nose on my second trip to the operation theatre. So he did that and it felt like my brain and eyes would follow those wretched pecks but thankfully, they are still intact. The process caused me to throw up whatever blood was left in my throat and it was not a very pretty site.
After that there wasn’t much left for me to do at the hospital so I was discharged and sent home. This doesn’t mean all is well now. I still suffer from the remnants of that disastrous day. My nose blocks up unexpectedly from wounds that didn’t heal. I can’t cry without blocking up my nose for an entire day and along with brushing my teeth regularly I have to follow a routine that includes unblocking my nose daily.
I don’t write this in order to show-off. (Ok, maybe I want to show off just a little) But I write this because this experience taught me that I cannot always trust everyone, that I should not rush into decisions that require time, that I cannot truly comprehend how my choices today will shape my tomorrow. I learnt that even when I have prepared for things it doesn’t mean that they will turn out right, sometimes they will take the wrong turn for no reason at all. And that for the life of me I cannot always decide which decision is bigger or smaller. All that is left to say is don’t rush into decisions and situations because you might not like what you are left with.


Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails